GALLERY 15


Dedicated to Adam C., Star Trek's # 1 Fanboy! Also: thanks, Kirby!


2/15/97- Ya. The Borg Queen is really cool. 2/16/97- Her timing is easily adjusted by rotating her distributor cap.

2/18/97- Super closeup of some of the body detail I've been working on. (I wish I could get this good a view of the stuff as I'm working on it!) It's not as accurate as I'd like, but then I don't have any idea what the back is supposed to look like. At this point, I'm agonizing over how to do the removeable head & shoulders thing. I could make two separate heads: one that fits in the body, and one with the full shoulders & metal spine. Unless the shoulders or batsuit are made of a flexible material, any removable rendition will be inaccurate: During the film's "docking" sequence, the fleshy shoulders are clearly visible. However, once fully "docked", they tuck under the suit. That's Hollywood for ya!

2/18/97- Test fit of armor. Glueing the cast armor over fabric will make the figure fatter, and I wish I'd compensated by pre-grinding the body before sculpting. This would be a good project for a flexible casting material, but all mine have expired, so I won't even try.

(I have no idea of what the back armor is supposed to look like, so I faked it... I can't wait to see how the real design differs from my own.)

2/21/97- Holy Time-Consuming Process, Batwoman! Sculpting in all the little details takes lots of time, but inventing and sculpting small sections of detail in epoxy putty's 10 minute window takes even longer! Sadly, it's impossible to render accurately without the photos-- unless your ESP is right on.

Since I feel some senseless need to reconcile this with the larger reality, I've now decided that this is not the Borg Queen of First Contact, but another incarnation of her. (You just can't kill off a great villain like her so easily.) This means I no longer have to agonize over the costuming errors!


2/23/97- Whew! Finally kinda sorta done. I rushed it because this website is a brutal master. It tells me how long I can spend working on a piece.

Not quite the ambitious piece I had hoped for. The neck articulation is rotation only, and it's pretty lame because I latexed over the seam. It looked crappy with the seam- now it rotates (which looks cool because the skin wrinkles) but doesn't stay in position. The head/shoulders assembly could lift out-- in fact, the front hooks are hinged-- but more or less, I gave up on the idea. I did some neat things with the leg joints though: You can't see it in these pictures, but I drilled holes into the knees so that when the legs extend and retract, the pipes go into the leg and don't bunch up. (Gosh, I just noticed that I forgot to sand the face imperfections and get rid of the notch in her boob.)

Next: Pat Boone, in a Metal Mood!


GALLERY 15

Last modified: Saturday, January 6, 2001 6:20 PM