TROLL DEMON

Last modified:
Sunday, June 16, 2002 5:15 PM

 

06/05/02- Phlegmbob... That's who I've been for the last couple of weeks, although you probably couldn't tell since I wipe the snot off my figures before I photograph them. Now I'm over the hump and feeling better so I decided not to upload the original article and started this one instead. This time I'll make an effort to avoid negative vibes and catty comments and just cook up some easily digestible happymeal thoughts. Yummy, huh? hack, hack -drip-

As foreshadowed in the latest "Remarks" entries, here's my next project. Yes, it's not a babe. This one was conceived of as a version of a "Demon Monkey", but his working name is "Troll Demon" instead. I just name 'em based on what they look like to me.

The final putty version of the #1 head ended up bigger and flatter than the prototype doodles. It therefore needed a larger body, so the Sideshow Toy's tall, lean and lanky Frankenstein figure seemed a good candidate. I didn't want this to be a big and buff evil demon, but a sleazy pot-bellied creature on spindly legs-- one of those free-lance loner types. The "Freaky Frankie" figure was damaged (the head was badly bunged up while trying to figure out how to remove it), so this was a way to reanimate it. The posing of his hands seemed especially appropriate for this type of figure.

Since the Sideshow Toy figure design has been hailed as being one of the best of the modern super-articulated figure designs (bites tongue), I really didn't need to do much to make it work for me. To make the figure capable of standing (gnashes teeth), I fused the toe articulation to the feet, hot glued the ankles (after unsuccessfully trying to tighten the ankle hinge with superglue) and fused the hips to the lower torso section. SST gave the hip-torso articulation a unique "swaying action" feature, providing generous spacing between the parts so that the frictioning shim would never wear out (banging head). But my stubborn insistence on making the figure stand required subduing any parts which would sway and change the figure's balance. I miss the action feature and regret the sacrifice of the articulated belly (uncontrollable twitching). The SST figure is also equipped with ganged elbow hinges-- while the deflection range of those hinges is comparable to a Masterpiece Edition Joe's elbows, the characteristic appearance of the special articulation is impressive, and an indicator of this figure's modern lineage (frothing at mouth).

There were several challenges in attaching the head. The head needed to be lower on the body to create a "hunched over" look, the shape of the wide neck and head didn't allow a standard head attachment means, and blending it into the body while retaining some articulation seemed hopeless. To get around these problems, the figure's neck needed to be mashed down flat, facing forward, with the semblance of a retaining pin created on the end. This is like a hook for the head's neck opening to hang on, at about a 45 degree angle. This permits the head to be removeable like a full-head mask and rotate slightly for a "cocked head" look. The figure's neck has a small amount of rotation and forward and backward posing capability. Work hasn't started yet on the problem of blending the head into the body, but I have an idea...

See? That wasn't so hard. Now excuse me while I wash up... I feel soooo dirty...

 

fantasy troll demon doll

 

 

RABID DEMON MONKEY?

tantasy troll demon doll

06/16/02- Whew! This project has drifted in the doldrums for longer than it should have, and I'm relieved that I've forced myself to have gotten it to this point. My interests don't lie in monster-making (at least not this guy), so it was difficult to bring myself to work on him. For a while there, I thought I was making a cartoon character and I could imagine him talking in something resembling a Yogi Bear voice. Something about that headsculpt just looked goofy and not seriously demonic. Yesterday I was thinking of redoing the head completely or chopping down his snout, but winced at the amount of work: Easier to just proceed and see where things went. So today, he looks diseased, mangy, and rabid. He's easier to imagine as a malevolent creature now, so I may have to re-characterize and rename him.

This is fresh from the fur factory, and just "finished" enough for pictures and this quickie update. Since the last update, his limbs were made more spindly and the arms were lengthened slightly. His skin was given a mottled texturing, which worked out well for the dirty wash. He's an indescribable color which the pictures don't show very well (he's not pink). The fur job is basic and just enough to cover the main articulation seams. In some places it needs to be matted down and more needs to be added so it doesn't look so obvious that it's there to cover seams. Darn, I keep forgetting to give him an "outie" belly button.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...