GERMAN FASHION ACCESSORIES


02/01/98- These are some medals I sculpted in Promat. After a while, your eyes start glazing over... Anyway, I ended up casting these in metal from a toy casting kit refill, with no idea of the correct temperature. It took a lot of trials to discover the technique of slapping the mold onto the blob of molten metal. The ones that came out are pretty neat-- they're heavier than resin, and can be buffed to quite a realistic metal shine.

08/17/98- This is a breast eagle master & a few castings. Apparently it's hard for the camera to see things this small too! To get a sharper picture, these guys were positioned about a centimeter or two from the lens. Although it's difficult to tell with the naked eye, the mold didn't pick up all the detail, and added a few imperfections of its own.

12/20/97- More small stuff. The one on the left is the Infantry Assault Badge, and the one on the right is the Wound Badge. As a way of showing off or justifying why the detail is sort of funky, I placed an MP40 (toy!) next to them. They're photographed in b&w with a total of +3 in close up lenses. This makes the depth of focus very shallow.

12/17/97- Based on Cotswold's Wehrmacht buckle, redone in clay and engraved with the defiant slogan, "Got Mittens". It's hard to work on stuff so small that your minute random eyeball jiggles interfere with the sculpting. (I never knew they did that!) For stability, I had to hold my breath while working the clay with a pin and Exacto blade. All that tension-- It's really rough on the neck. Although the imperfections aren't as noticible at actual size, I think the pros would probably sculpt it at a larger size and reduce it using a shrink molding compound.

12/17/97- This is Cotswold's German water flask covered in fabric, restrapped and painted. I made a more detailed belt strap loop using strip brass for the buckle, which hooks onto the wire 'D'-ring. The "rivet" is a pinhead.

11/10/97- Reproduction of Cotswold's German Officer's Cap, before & after resculpting cockade & eagle. The bill was also reshaped, and a vertical seam was carved.

11/09/97- How to do shoulderboards? After driving myself crazy trying to do it with gold cord, I settled on the idea of sculpting one and making a mold. This generic one should be good for "General" usage... (Demolding took a few chunks out of this clay master.)

10/25/97- Cotswold's was out of German mess kits, so I sculpted this in Promat, using an Optivisor to help with the detail & smoothing. The rough shape was first baked and sanded, followed by patch-up work, detailing and more baking. After 9 flawed castings I finally abandoned the idea of making this openable, and cut a proper fill hole in the mold. This simplified things considerably: The strap & buckle are glued on and non-functional. The wire handle is made of an electric guitar 'B' string (.017"), and is glued in position.

10/16/97- The picture on the left shows the touched up lettering on the modified Cotswold dagger which I showed at Leo Sutedja's site. This time I used a Pigma Micron pen. It's hard to tell from this picture, but you can almost read it now.

The other picture shows my Walthers P38 holster and a cuff title, lettered using a PC's inkjet. I gave it heavy coats of Dullcote before I applied silver paint to the white.

This is a cheapo "Soldiers of the World" WWI German Infantryman's uniform that I'm attempting to do something to. To give him the upper pockets, I had to cut material from his pants! Fortunately, they tuck into his boots, so you can't see the missing pieces. Tricky, huh? I didn't think I'd ever find a match for the color & material though.

The harness was a lot of work-- making all those 'D'-rings and buckles. I also adapted a Cotswold buckle to the belt. They're made of vacuum-metalized plastic, so you can saw the flanges off with no sweat, and reduce the thickness. (After the fact observation: I believe this is an SS buckle, which doesn't jive with the Wehrmacht above pocket insignia. Easy to fix...)

Here I added a machine gunner's repair parts pouch. It opens, but I don't have a clue what to put inside! I painted the stitching on, assisted by the Optivisor. For detail painting, the most difficult part is keeping the brush loaded with the proper paint consistency so that it flows predictably.

The grenade is a casting of one I made using cassette rollers & a wooden dowel.


Last modified: Saturday, January 6, 2001 6:20 PM